August 20, 2021, 2:15 p.m. – While we did relax our mask requirements for a time as our community saw increased vaccination rates, we have since decided to again require all customers and patients to wear a mask while in the store. We have made this decision based on the newest directive from the Shelby County Health Department and feel this is a necessary step to slow the spread of the delta variant. As a medical facility, we take the health of our patients and staff very seriously and want to do our part to keep our community safe during this time of uncertainty.
We continue to sanitize surfaces and eyeglass frames, as well as the exam rooms. In addition to masks, our employees have access to face shields if close contact is required. To provide the safest environment, we continue to periodically test all employees for COVID-19 and monitor their daily temperatures. Our entire team is fully vaccinated, and we hope our customers and patients are as well. Reinstating the mask requirement is an extra layer of protection that we feel is necessary right now. You may not be able to see our smiling faces, but we are still here – ready and willing to provide the best customer experience and most unique frame selection. Thanks for continuing to support our business and other small businesses in the Memphis community!
May 17, 2021, 1:45 p.m. – Following Shelby County’s decision to lift the county-wide mask mandate effective Saturday, May 15, we at Eclectic Eye feel empowered to share important updates so our customers and community members know what to expect when visiting us.
As a business, we have decided to continue requiring our customers to wear masks while inside our store. We will continue to follow CDC recommendations, and we look to their guidance as we consider relaxing certain measures.
So, what is changing at Eclectic Eye? As we continue to monitor our community’s vaccination rate, we will no longer have designated entrances and exits, meaning customers can enter our building through either door. We will no longer require customer temperature checks upon entry, and we will be removing the sanitized signs in the dispensary.
While we are taking a stepped-down approach to frame cleaning, we will still be thoroughly sanitizing surfaces, the exam rooms and pre-test areas. Our UV sanitizing wand is a great tool that kills the virus quickly and can be used on all surfaces and frames. To help ensure the safety of our team, we will continue to check their temperatures and require weekly COVID-19 screenings, as well as offer access to a face shield for added protection.
We are slowly moving towards updating some of the protocols we have put in place over the last year, but we are approaching each change cautiously and thoughtfully. We will continue to offer curbside service and encourage you to make an appointment if possible.
We appreciate your continued support as we navigate these ever-changing times!
April 6, 2020, 6 p.m. – Due to the extension of the Safer at Home directive and to continue ensuring the health and safety of our employees and customers, Eclectic Eye will remain closed until further notice.
At this time, we are accepting orders for contact lenses via phone for home delivery only. However Dr. Weinberg strongly recommends reducing contact lens wear in order to lessen ongoing risks to the eyes and an elevated risk of exposure. If you are symptomatic or self-isolating because of potential exposure discontinuing contact lens wear is recommended. If you have an order in progress and would like to inquire about having it shipped to you please call (901)276-3937 or email us at [email protected]. We are not currently accepting new orders. However, if you have broken your glasses and do not have a back-up pair we can potentially help in an emergency. In these cases, please call or e-mail us to assess the options we may be able to provide. In the event of a medical eye emergency, we may be able to provide assistance via telehealth or give you an appropriate referral. Again, please contact us so we can assess your needs and determine how to safely provide guidance if possible. If you reach our voicemail, please leave a message and we will return your call within 48 hours.
March 27, 2020, 3:30 p.m. – Eclectic Eye appreciates your patience and continued support of local business through these difficult times. Our entire team remains healthy and symptom-free. While our eyewear boutique is closed temporarily, there are new procedural changes that will be implemented at this time.
- Our boutique will remain temporarily closed to the public through Thursday, April 30, per Mayor Strickland’s Safer at Home directive.
- We will provide current patients with essential care via telehealth (phone, text) when appropriate, or in person when necessary.
- We will provide contact lenses shipped direct or by special arrangement delivery to our parking lot.
- We will extend contact lens expiration dates temporarily for patients if we feel it will be safe. However, we still recommend less contact lens wear throughout the COVID-19 spread.
- For lost or broken glasses, we will make special arrangements for replacements and repairs, by appointment only, as long as we can do so safely.
- All routine exams and contact lens fittings will be rescheduled once it is deemed safe for our patients, staff and the community at large.
March 20, 2020, 5:30 p.m. – At this time, in consideration of the safety of our employees and our community, Eclectic Eye will close until further notice due to the unfortunate Coronavirus situation. Our team will be monitoring text messages, calls and emails during this time. For emergency eye care, please text Dr. Michael Weinberg at (901) 493-3232.
We understand this is a challenging time for all and are committed to the health and safety of our loyal customers and employees.
For more information visit the CDC website https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html.
March 17, 2020, 10:30 a.m. – Eclectic Eye continues to closely monitor the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. Our team has taken additional measures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our customers and employees, in an effort to help prevent the spread of the virus. Eclectic Eye will continue to provide exams and exceptional eyewear as long as safely possible; however, there have been some changes to our business hours and procedures.
Alternate business hours and closings are as follows:
- Monday and Tuesday, March 16 & 17, business hours will continue as usual (10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.).
- Wednesday and Thursday, March 18 & 19, we will be closed.
- Friday and Saturday, March 20 & 21, will be reserved for private appointments and scheduled patients. This may be subject to change within the following weeks, please contact the store directly for more information.
New procedural changes during business hours:
- Eclectic Eye can arrange for curbside pick-up.
- Eclectic Eye can arrange for contacts and frames to be ordered and shipped with frame adjustments set at a later date.
- Eclectic Eye can drop off products to customers.
- Eclectic Eye can arrange at-home try on boxes.
- Eclectic Eye can set up private appointments.
For contact lens wear:
We would strongly recommend for anyone that is having symptoms, or anyone under self-quarantine to not wear contact lenses. Contact lenses increase the risk of problems with eye health. Insertion and removal of contacts subjects a patient to direct exposure to susceptible tissues. If there is a contact lens-related problem (keratitis, infection, or abrasion), there would be no easy way to remotely manage the potential issues.
We recommend wearing glasses throughout this time. And, of course, washing your hands and glasses before putting them on. As well as washing your hands when adjusting or after removing glasses.
Dr. Weinberg is still available for emergencies and can be reached directly at 901-493-3232.
To ensure the safety of our team and customers: All Eclectic Eye staff are required to have their temperatures taken upon arrival. There will be a sign off sheet regarding the current health of our employees.
March 13, 2020, 1:15 p.m. – Eclectic Eye is closely monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, which is quickly spreading globally. While most cases are mild and do not require hospitalization, our team is taking extra precautions to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our customers and employees, and to help prevent the spread of the virus. Eclectic Eye will continue to provide exams and exceptional eyewear as long as safely possible.
Business hours will remain the same until further notice; however, there has been a slight change in our standard routine, as necessary, and is stated below. It has always been our top priority to be diligent about the cleanliness of our eyewear studio. Our team has been trained on CDC recommended protocols and we will continue to train and monitor the spread of this virus.
If you have symptoms that include fever, cough, congestion, and shortness of breath, or either had contact with a person with COVID-19 or traveled abroad in the past month, please stay home and seek care from an urgent-care provider.
The following changes have been enacted as of March 12, 2020:
For customers coming in to shop for frames:
- A dedicated area has been set up for customers to relax, while frames are brought to customers based on their preferences.
- All frames will be disinfected after being tried on.
- If the shop is crowded, customers may be asked to set up an appointment.
For customer pick up:
- All products will be disinfected after final inspection and before packaging.
- To avoid overcrowding, customers will be asked to set up an appointment online.
- There will be an area designated to dispense glasses.
- All adjustment tools will be disinfected after use.
To reduce physical contact as much as possible for patients coming in for exams:
- Eclectic Eye will not check the eye pressure unless it is a high risk.
- Eclectic Eye will not dilate the eyes unless it is a high risk.
- Eclectic Eye will not perform OCT scans on the nerve and the macula to ensure healthy status.
- Eclectic Eye will reduce the number of patients to prevent crowding.
- Eclectic Eye will designate one room for contact lens exams and medical issues.
- Eclectic Eye will allow additional time between patients to ensure all equipment and surfaces are completely cleaned.
The steps to protect yourself from COVID-19 are similar to the flu:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or your elbow.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a household cleaning spray or wipe.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not recommend that people who are well wear a face mask to protect themselves from respiratory illnesses, including the flu and COVID-19. Face masks should be used only by people who show symptoms of these diseases to help prevent the spread of the disease to others.
We are continuing to monitor this situation, as it is still evolving. For more information visit the CDC website.